Listen to it on your favorite app!
Welcome to the Self Storage Lab — where we deconstruct how operators are adapting to today’s technology-driven landscape and how it might impact your business.
On November 30th, chatGPT celebrates its first anniversary. This past year has been brimming with remarkable advancements in AI, prompting us to take a nostalgic stroll down memory lane. Let's delve into some of the most captivating breakthroughs, occasional setbacks, and the profound impact this technology will have.
In this episode, we nerd about about all things genAI. Join us in our year in review:
- We give a recap of genAI’s impact this year, and highlight a few areas of impact
- Economy and the markets
- “Generative AI, the broader tech category ChatGPT falls under, has been projected to add up to $4.4 trillion in value to the global economy per year thanks to productivity boosts.”
- Re-skilling as a job, and the new roles sprouting up this year
- We dive into Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback (RLHF), and how central this concept has been for the major LLM players.
The team discusses some of the “wins” of the year, while also some “fails”
In the win corner:
- Major updates and breakthroughs
- chatGPT passes almost every professional test
- impact to the economy
In the fail corner:
- Bing Chatbot's other personality, Sydney.
- Work Disruptions and hallucinations
- Concerns about the technology were a central focal point of the writers and actors strikes.
- The arms race to build the data centers that power AI models is sucking up scarce water resources.
Top Developments of the year
- The team also discuss some interesting developments in AI
- What the top players did right; in-depth takes about OpenAI, Google, Microsoft, Meta, Apple, Midjourney, Adobe, and more.
- Other than LLMs, some of the other model types to keep an eye on: Vision, Audio, and hardware
- Multimodality is mentioned as a huge aspect and the hosts predict its growth in the coming year.
- Auto GPT and using agents to complete tasks is a fascinating possibility.
- How hardware and new interfaces will be critical to the success of AI
- At the end of the episode, the team speed runs through some “hot takes” of what is to come. Wait until you listen to Kyle’s thoughts.
Thank you for listening. Please leave any feedback and we encourage you to subscribe to get the latest episodes instantly.
Listen, rate, and subscribe!
Apple Podcasts · Spotify · Google Podcasts · Amazon Music · Anchor · Pocket Casts