Listen to it on your favorite app!
Welcome to the Self Storage Lab — where we deconstruct how operators are adapting to today’s technology-driven landscape and how it might impact your business.
Have you ever reached that point where running your self-storage property just feels like too much to handle? The good news is that you've got options!
In episode 9 of the Self Storage Lab podcast, Kyle, Mason, and Rodolfo discuss the varying management styles in the self storage industry and how they have led to changes in the day-to-day functions of operating teams.
Mentioned in this episode:
The transition period in the industry
- The shift from traditional brick and mortar management to remote, unmanned, and virtual management
- The rise of technology and changing consumer expectations
- The impact of COVID-19 on management styles
Different management styles
- Fully remote or unmanned management
- Hybrid management styles
- Automated management
Which management style is right for you?
- The benefits and challenges of the different styles of management
- The role of human involvement in remote management
- The need for reliable technology and security measures
- The importance of customer service and personal interaction
- The potential for robots and other technologies to replace human involvement
The shift in management styles in the self storage industry
- The importance of focusing on sales and service centers and boots on the ground personnel
- Viewing management styles as a customer journey
- The importance of the first-time rental experience
- 70% of renters are first-time renters
The role of technology in improving the customer experience
- The potential for cloud-based software, mobile apps, and kiosks to improve efficiency and convenience
- The need for reliable technology to protect sensitive data
- The potential for technology to improve the ongoing customer experience
Making the decision for your business
- The importance of finding the right balance for your business and customers
- Pros/Cons of In-house management
- Pros/Cons of Third-party management
- The economies of scales of Third-party management
Remote vs. Unattended facilities
- Is it truly unmanned/unattended?
- The benefits/challenges of remote management
- What’s the difference between remote and hub and spoke?
- What’s the deal with unattended facilities?
- Finding the right balance
The Importance of Simplification
- How to streamline the Customer Journey to bring uniformity
- Simplifying the technology stack to have one way to do as much as possible is key to success
- How to optimize the Rental and Sales Process
Leveraging automation in self-storage management
- The impact of technology on hiring and employee turnover rates
- The importance of standard operating procedures (SOPs) in remote management
- The role of technology in enhancing property value and attracting higher-end tenants
- Tools and technologies for remote management, including video calling, contact centers, and automated locks
- AI for predictive maintenance and enhanced security
- Thinking outside the box and applying retail strategies to self-storage management and operations.
Thank you for listening. Please leave any feedback and we encourage you to subscribe to get the latest episodes instantly.
Listen, rate, and subscribe!
Apple Podcasts · Spotify · Google Podcasts · Amazon Music · Anchor · Pocket Casts